- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup canned lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 6 whole-grain buns
- 8 tomato slices
- Fresh basil leaves
How to make it
- Pulse first three ingredients in food processor till finely chopped.
- Heat one tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a skillet; turn all the way down to medium, and cook onion, stirring often, about 15min or till golden brown. Add mushroom mixture, and cook, stirring, about 2 to 3 minutes or till liquid evaporates. take away from heat, and let cool.
- Stir cooled mushroom mixture into lentils, and mix with next three ingredients (through salt) till well-combined. Form mixture into six patties (about 1/2 cup each). Place meal on a shallow plate, and coat burgers equally.
- Heat remaining one tablespoon oil in a slippery frypan over medium heat, and cook burgers about three minutes or till golden brown on undersurface. Flip burgers, and top with cheese. Cook about three minutes additional or till golden brown and cheese is melted . Serve burgers on buns topped with tomato and basil, if desired.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes